Pearl of Africa Farm (POAF) is located in the rural setting about 25 km from Kampala on Hoima Road. The farm has a permanent stream running through it that provides water for farming all year around.
The farming activities include the following among others;
|a)||Crocodile farming||In progress|
|c)||Fish farming||Artistic fish ponds already dug and stocked|
|d)||Seedlings Nursery garden||With seedlings of compound flowers , bamboo and eucalyptus
|f)||Training Kitchen||Already set up|
|g)||Leisure gardens||A number are ready and some in progress|
|h)||Herbal plants||The farm has over 150 herbal plants|
|i)||Value addition||In progress|
|j)||Farm buildings||In progress|
Overtime the farm has faced the following key challenges;
- Lack of effective demand at the farm gate;
- Inadequate rainfall;
- Lack of proper seeds;
- Lack of agricultural extension services;
- Lack of effective crop drugs;
- Shortage of trained and experienced labor;
- Theft of crops;
- Low prices of farm produce in wholesale markets;
- Lack of affordable appropriate technology for value addition and
- Limited capital
The farm has created a wet land to provide source of water throughout year. This is in addition to the water in the fish bonds that covers about 4 acres of land.
The farm has preserved vegetation to educate forest cover.